Pappy was the op for Joey Reynolds, among otherscorrect? of THE PACIFIC MOTHERFUCKIN NORTHWEST!!! all Air Talent/Music Driven Top-40s , and oh yeah all live people 24/7, when radio was fun to do and to listen to. The Playlist: With Christian Hillborg, Gizem Erdogan, Edvin Endre, Severija Janusauskaite. Oh-two soft rock stations I meant to name-check (I list those among the greatest AC stations of all time, as well): WSB and WSB-FM Atlanta (WSBs full-service format had, musically, reformatted to Adult Contemporary by circa early 1980s). Bobbys internet tribute to B100 streams now at http://www.B100.fm, featuring all the hits that fits, lots of fondly remembered mid-chart stiffs, and recent voice tracks from the surviving members of the B100 air staff. During the day we kistened to WKY (Oklahoma City) but when dusk came we had KOMA (Oklahoma City), WLS (Chicago), KLIF (Dallas), WNOE (New Orleans), and XERF out of Del Rio carryying Wolfman Jack. Its easy to pick the ones you loved, but its also unfair to think those are the only ones. 1. The kids of today, sorry to say, really have NO idea what a true lifestyle broadcast radio station sounds like. But lets be honest, there were TONS of great Top 40 stations and narrowing it down to 10 or 20- or 40- is nearly impossible because of what appeals to the one making the choices. you go, Phil; *THATS!!!!! Many stations that are just average have lasted a long time. I LOVED the 6-years+ I spent at the helm of those prestigious monster radio stations. Of all the airchecks in recent years I have heard from the late 60s through the 70s from different TOP40 stations around the country, I wish I could have experienced listening to Super CFL in Chicago live back then. Owned by Hugh Holder, then Henderson Belk, Southern Broadcasting and Mann Media. Edgier. May 16, 1972. xmplaylist Recently played songs on XM Sirius radio Genre SiriusXM Hits 1 Pandora Now TikTok Radio The Pulse The Coffee House 70s on 7 80s on 8 90s on 9 Pop2K The 10s Spot PopRocks Pitbull's Globalization The Whitney Channel Mosaic The Blend The Bridge The Beatles Channel Bob Marley's Tuff Gong Elvis Radio E Street Radio Underground Garage Listen to WTIX-FM Listen Live Listen with TuneIn JD on Twitter Follow @RealJDtheDJ JD on MeWe Time remaining in Biden Presidency: 1 year 10 months 26 days 15 hours 41 minutes 38 seconds Random Rants Random Rants let JD blow off steam on almost any subject. Another station that deserves mention was WZZD, 990, when it was a Disco Hits format (i.e., disco hits played in a random Top 40-style format, as opposed to beat-blended, as on WCAU-FM.) WGLI Babylon, LI, NY Charlie Tuna, Dale Wehba, Don McGregor, Paul Miller, John David, Chuck Dann, J. Michael Wilson, Johnny Dark, Buddy Scott, John Ravencroft, and many others were among those who played the hits from the studios in Moore, Oklahoma. (:34) $3.00 off a $19.95 portable 45 rpm record player. Blowtorches 770 WABC and 1520 KOMA. Especially before I Heart and Cumulus took over. Donny Osmond was at #1, the TIX All-Stars basketball team was ready, toplay De La Salle, the time chime and the music that was on your radio. Look at the Superstar talent that went thru there Paul Drew, Dr. Don Rose, Tony Taylor, Big Ron, Randy Robbins, Scott Shannon, John Leader, Gary Mckee and so many more. This is the station all of the Super Q imitators wanted to be. Stan invested in talent and promotion. Who wants to play that crap? of a damn BITCH!! Jim later made his way to Buffalo in 1972 or so. It could compete anywhere. 20. WVAQ is a giant in North Central West Virginia. It was a magical blend of personality, jingles, contests, and fun mixed with the greatest music that defined the era and continues to live today. When I went on leave to Cincinnati I always dialed in KXOK in St. Louis as I wen east on old Highway 40 in the pre I-70 days. I agree: there were SCORES! * Bob Walker -AircheckAugust 10, 1972 (11:46). search in gooogle: boorfes tips monetize your website. 7. Frequent updatesbetween songs, and a 20-20 news summary of what was known at that moment by, * Bob Walker -AircheckAugust 8, 1972 (9:52), Includes live spots for Godchaux's Bottoms Up Shop, 7-Up the Uncola, and an employment opportunity for. Playlists are where millions of fans make billions of musical discoveries. were on the moon on this date.Also hear 1969 local radio commercials including Rex Root Beer. (In other words, Uptempo MOR, Pop Adult, Rock MOR or whatever (at least soft rock hits-oriented) Adult Contemporary radio was called during most of the 70s.) (P.S., Rockin Ron did a great Oldies Show Sunday nights on WBT, Charlotte). * Robert Mitchell (with Jim Swiler) -Quarterback "BillyKilmore"November 1969 (1:17), * Robert Mitchell (with Katy Caraway) -Mardi Gras Phone CallsFebruary 28, 1980(5:18). * Tom Cheney - Newscast June 1970 during the Bill Murvin show. WHB and KXOK were among his best. C-K-S-L of-a-TownLONNN-DONNN!! 16. @Rich Marston Lee and Randy How about adding to your list here? It would be impossible to make a top 20 list that everyone would like, but these are great! Dont get screwed, get WAPEd!. Attention! Dont know what songs been playing on the radio? Ya just cant ignore a station that spawned Jay Thomas, The Greaseman, and Hoyle Dempsey, as well as having a swimming pool where you could dive in OUTSIDE and surface INSIDE in the lobby! WPGR, 1540, also did a nice job during their stint as an Oldies station. History-making in so many ways, and still great today. WTIX - May 20, 1972 Michael Green. Side note- thanks to Randy Michaels for seeing what I saw- that great radio isnt necessarily only in great cities. We held a three-week online poll asking readers what they think are or were the best Top 40s, and here are the results: Not bad company for my first dream station that I ever worked for to be in. Surprised that WHBQ, Memphis didnt make someones list. LOL Other stations interrupt. You can find more than 80 country list with total of ~3500 IPTV channels! Love it..used to listen to a oldies station (Poppa Stoppa DJ ) in my Grandfathers Meat Market next to Circle Food Store with my Uncle Tyrone. I have to mention the station that I listened to every night growing up in Utah (and made me fall in love with radio) 1520 KOMA out of Oklahoma City. Beers. I grew up in southern Oklahoma in the 50s and 60s and we didnt know it then but it was radio heaven. WHAT the damn FUCK??? Glad to see the two stations I grew up with listed here. ABCs $50,000 Button? To me, radio was riveting in the 60s and 70s, and it fascinated me enough to get in to it, which I enjoyed for over 40 years. Erie also had the talented Oogie Pringle who went from WJET to WRIE in Erie and then jumped to WNBC in NY. The mainstay jocks on our station throughout this period were Big Bill Barthe, our P.D., who was legally blind, Sab Michael, Ken Nelson and myself, Bruce Scott. I remember in the late 50s and rarly 60s living in northern Illinois, we always tried to tune in to WBZ Boston that broadcast just a little higher on the dial than WLS in Chicago! They had a New Years count down of the top 100 from the year and I listened to every song for several years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZTrSr-Dfuw. Is there sill anybody around who still remembers us? Love your show! They were called the WMEX Good Guys. , 4539 N. I-10 Service road Third FloorMetairie, LA. Metairie, LA. Locally owned by Fleur de Lis Broadcasting, the station operates at 100,000 watts and serves the city of New Orleans and the Gulf South. Bobby Rich, you nailed it. Thanks for all of the comments and memories! always got my day off with a laugh; I still remember the day he ran a commercial with Minnie Pearl and after it ended he said, Boy, Ill bet that dress is a booger to iron. I also remember Tommy Walker, Gary Edens, and Jimmy Capps; dont remember Pat Patterson because I wasnt living in Raleigh then. While at age 20 I had only about 10% of an idea of how to actually be an effective PM drive personality, I had loads of freedom, encouragement from Bobby Rich, inspiration from all my peers and energy to spare. * Bill Murvin - Aircheck, June 1970. . * Craig Roberts -Guglielmo the Tree 1972 (:25)Smoky the Bear PSA takeoff for Italy. Storz didnt own KOIL. KISN in Portland? Radio Ink sure hit a LIVE WIRE here didnt they! I knew what I wanted to do forever. 2. Ron Jacobs roasted you accurately years ago. And for the very reason you namedthe stations that personally floated the proverbial boat of the person making the choicesnarrowing them down to any given number at least falls short of impossible. But lets not forget KXOL/Ft. Pentatonix (PTX) TiIX is the only station I listen to. Also playlists are working with VLC Media Player. Larry Anderson, the PD at WGR Buffalo, listened to WJET driving back and forth to see family in Ohio. At least in my city. My all time favorite Oldies format stations were WPEN, from 1975-76 (great jocks, jingles, funny newscasters) and WIOQ, during its brief stint in that format, 1987-88, as I recall. I grew up listening to KXOK in St. Louis during the daytime hours (Johnny Rabbit) and WLS at night. Metairie, LA, USA. And to THINK Uncle Lar (the late, great Larry Lujack) was on both LS *AND*!! Will ALWAYS love radio. WAPE/Jacksonville. ", mention of Kirschman's Gentilly Woods. Several on-air staff departed for KTNQ Los Angeles in late 1976, creating openings for Shotgun Tom Kelly in AM drive, Glen (Martin) McCartney middays, yours truly in PM drive and Gene Knight in the evenings. KHJ lasted about 10 years. I arrived after that promotion but of course it was well documented. I had WFIL at #15. WCBS-FM, New York (when they first launched, c. late 1980s into the 1990swent downhill since) Frank Brodie (CKLW) was incredible on the air in ANY format, as were most of the jocks from the true Top 40 era. Jet was truly a phenominal station. WCFL was occasionally a better station. 94.3 WTIX-FM is a broadcast Radio station from Galliano, Louisiana, United States, providing Oldies, Classics Music, News and Weather programs. 2B Productions changed its name to Rowan-Cabarrus Radio, and Catawba students will train for journalism and communications careers on its three stations. Toast. An industry veteran thats been everywhere. Others from that same summer (as we were on a long road trip from our home New Jersey, where WABCs tower stood outside my bedroom window): KMEN in San Bernardino and KCBQ in San Diego. I had to climb onto the counter to reach it. How good is that? After moving to 1400, still at low power, no one could touch them, and everyone tried. Few stations have been able to achieve consistent success in ratings, and the conversion of ratings to revenue and cash flow, like KIIS. WDSU had number one afternoon show called The Top 20 on 1280. 56kbps New Orleans Talk Radio. (Jesus!, to leave out some of the Top 40 stations in any major city and yet mention WABC, WLS, CKLW or even Z-100, your input has gotta the hell motherfuckin suck SHIT!). the Mighty 1190, KLIF. (3:00)* Buzz Bennett -AircheckMay 1967 (2:50). 5. The announcers of WTIX 94.3 FM are all veteran broadcasters. And if neither WAPE Jacksonville, FL NOR WQXI was the WABC of the South, so many of the larger Southern cities were contenders for that title: including New Orleans (WNOE as well as WTIX), Atlanta again (WPLO, WAKE (with its 1,000-watts daytime/250-watts nighttimeand prior to the early 60s, 250 watts full timesignal! An error happened posting the review, sorry! I listed WTIX because they were the very first Top 40. So was WVAQ, I am the person that changed it from beautiful music to Top 40 in 1976. Hows that for some entertaining teachers?! dayparts were themselves jettisoned in favor of additional Spanish-language programming. A Collection of Songs & Covers by the Greatest A Cappella Group Ever. They took overalong with the likes of Tommy Shannon, the still-to-come Dan Neaverth, Joey Reynolds and so many others. Great to see WHB from KC and KXOK from St. Louis on the list. Listen Live Memories 98.3 Fm Radio With Onlineradiobox.com. Had a lot of fun working at TR, too, and enjoyed doing Smooth Jazz. WTIX Back To The Beach CD Signing 17 Choice Oldies CD Signing Bob Walker, T-Ben Boudreaux, Engineer Tom Courtney, Michael in the Morning, and Terry Knight (l-r) at the WTIX-FM 17 Choices Oldies CD signing remote broadcast at Borders Books in Metairie, Louisiana on 12/10/05. WJET 1400. Or you don't come in at all. I was super stoked to see that B100 San Diego made the readers top 10. The Rock Of New Orleans - WKBU-FM | Bayou 95.7 FM Contests & Events Latest The Rise Guys on Bayou Latest The Rise Guys After Hours Podcast Bayou Rock Box: Your chance to win Guns N' Roses tickets Login and Listen to Bayou 95.7 for your chance to win Duran Duran Tickets Bayou Rock Box: Your chance to win tickets to Depeche Mode They were late in the AM game. WTIX - May 6, 1972 Bob Walker with Sonny & Cher. SERIOUSLY! Hence the morning mans name FENWAY. Oh, yeah-the aforementioned WMAQ Chicago (during its AC format from circa 1972 to 1975); and KMPC Los Angeles (which like WIP in Philly, transitioned gradually from MOR to soft rock from well into the early 70s to about 1976. Chuck Blore used the name on the AM, 1150: KIIS=K115. Been listening for decades to WTIX. Frank Jolly did afternoons on KBOX and was great and a little crazy. WKVQ (15Q)/Knoxville. I think one of the elements that is missing today is competition, radio wars. I knew several of the voices on the radio from back then! WTIX 690 AM New Orleans LA, Talk radio. SON! Now its boring as hell. I am glad Dr. Don Rose got a mention at KFRC as I know he was huge out there in CA. In his undershirt he personally cooked, and rice, along with corn bread for us. Everything about KB was show business. Even that 50,000 watt blowtorch signal was so strong that it easily penetrated into my bedroomdown in the basement! WICC Bridgeport, CT WDSU had number one afternoon show called The Top 20 on 1280. WBLI Patchogue, LI (Long Island), NY It put rock and roll on the FM map in Boston and eventually made WRKO/680 the legendary Top 40 rocker in Boston beginning in March of 67. Im not sure what happened to WYNG except that it was possibly drowned in the FM tsunami. The station was 1000kw days 250 nights but still was credited by many of the major record labels as being great market for breaking new artists and new singles, sorryfirst sentence should read owned the market not on the Market. It was just too great a line not to steal. Gene Chenalt was a gentleman who was always good to me. I worked in Trenton, MO in 78 and thought that WDAF 61 Country was great Top 40 radio and how good country radio could be programmed. Tix has been a big part in my life. A fantastic radio station Keep it going. Another great station that should have made the list. That station was my LIFE as a kid. 13. Sports, music, news and podcasts. KOIL Omaha was the first Top Forty station thanks to Todd Storzdont they deserve a mention? The FM is still Tp 40. I think it says something that I remember all those *personalities*. Wibbage was a true top 40 station from about 1958 until roughly 1977. MY GOD!, ANYdamnbody who the hell KNOWS A GODDAMN FUCKIN *THING* about Sixties and Seventies rock n roll radio KNOWS that KJR was one of the ALL-TIME GREATS in Top 40 radio AND IN RADIO, PERIOD!!!!! Bob Walker20-20Traffic,BillMurvinonSmith's&TapeCitySpot. After PD Cagle left in late 1983/early 1984 and the jocks Bill Lee, Jack Armstrong, Mark McKay left I switched to KMEL/KITS on FM. We recommend to enable all cookies to guarantee the website properly work. When I grew up, I had a steady diet of WABC, WNBC, KB radio 15, CKLW and WOWO. I worked there later in time. MSNBC News Trending 1. The number one selection by the fan picks proves that the entire country would have benefited. $25,000 Giveaway promo (Buzz Bennett voiceover), Bob Walker (TIX Original Oldie Hour). Also hear 1969 local radio commercials including Louisiana Power & Light. NO way is it possible to please every jock and every station PD or group owner. In college I often drove at night and I could travel from Denver to Chicago tuned to KOMA listening to cmmercials for the Kearney Dragway in Nebraska, the commercial blarring out Be There, Be There, Saturday night.. Much appreciated. But here we go. Big Time. During that same event KOMA lost power but had a generator I asked Perry how he knew when to cut back to utility power. Lee, in addition to answering the question, included what he considers to be the 15 characteristics of great Top 40 stations. (3:00), June 1970 during the Bill Murvin show. Sorry, I dont mean to monopolize the conversation, but another old Philly station/format warrants mention: An all-Progressive Rock format launched by WDAS-FM, Hyskis Underground. A good playlist and entertaining jocks. Hey! Currently, WDGY is based in Hudson, WI and is back to playing hits from the 60s and 70s. !, yet!) Drill 5. ***HELL***!! Many stations saved money on jingles by getting names cut during a session or by recycling house names. Listen Here 1. Plus they had Uncle Larthey could not loseeven with the bad signalthat supermod was flamethrower quality! Thanks for putting in the time and effort, much appreciated. WTIX - The Top 69 of 1969. Even to this day, as someone who, demographically, is supposed to be way outside the Top 40 parameters Im a 50-something male I still love a great CHR-Pop station. it; THATTTS!! Great stations produced great stars and huge ratings. A great Top 40 station. It exploded in 1967 with the Drake format. Online Radio Box uses cookies in order to provide the best service for our users. WDGY and WQAM were purchased in 1956, KOMA in 1958 and KXOK in 1960. Todd Storz took the tight playlist formula from KOWH,. (Amen! No doubt WQXI held off FM competition for years after the city grew beyond its signal. Not long after you came on board in early 1972, WLS reduced its published chart to a Big 8 + 9 playlist. WTIX - April 8, 1972 Lou Saint. These full 3-hour length classic American Top 40 shows from 1970-1978, all in their original broadcast form. 41 were here. I completely agree. A further thought on this string: As kids growing up in Welland, Ontario, most of the radio we listened to was from Buffalo. KFRC was a good station, but anyone whos honest it was strictly second-tier and never (especially during AM Top 40s most dominant era) had anything close to the production magic and genius of Boss Radio, Morgan and Steele were the most influential in the business. By the time I went off to college in 1978, there were more FM radio options that I switched to. The Last Contest was all about perception and theater of the mins. There were so many great Personality AM powerhouses in the 50s-70s. been listening to TIX since the 70s. Already a user? In 1983, right after NBC paid six figures to researchers to learn that there was absolutely no hole for Top 40 in New York, Milt Maltz paid $8.3 million for an FM in Newark that played show tunes, figured out how to move it to Empire, brought in a redneck morning man and PD (Scott Shannon, who was so not New York and went worst to first). They had a very strong signal at night and played all the latest hits!! WFAS-FM Bronxville, NY (renamed WNBM Boom 103.9 and reformatted to Urban AC in the early 2010s) I completely understood but I was so happy to have heard back from him and that he liked my work. Use our service to find it! Id say most folks who heard KNUS during its brief glory years would tell you it belongs on the list. When that station had to be sold or loose its license and it went to beautiful music WHN, the Yankees went to a non-rock stationWCBS. CKLW went Drake and WXYZ and WKNR went away.50,000 watts put the Big 8 into Cleveland,Toledo and eastern PA.I remember CKLW giving the weather for Toledo and Cleveland. WAKY/Lousiville. Its city of license is Galliano, Louisiana. I lived in Buffalo and the Miami area and with kudos to WQAM and WFUN there was nothing like KB anywhere! Country Hits 3. I like the mention of Big WAYS and WTIX as I lived in those cities and I used to hear WAPE. In Your Room. Skinny Tom Cheney name shout 3. WTIX FM 4539 n. i-10 service rd. The formats would be better, if the music product was better. WMCA was more like the Dodgers: deeply loved inside the boroughs. The website cannot function properly without these files, they can only be disabled by changing your browser settings or by using our website in "Incognito" mode. And if you dont know what I mean by that. At night despite having a terrible signal at night(WMEX could be heard across at the pond but couldnt be heard in parts of Boston). In fact, the list also left off the early Adult Contemporary stations, period! Growing up in southern Minnesota from the late 1960s through the late 1970s, my friends and I listened to WDGY AM during the day and WLS AM after sunset. The greatest Top 40 station of all time? WTIX was a great station, but I felt WQAM was a better example of Storz. I listened to CKLW from the early 60s to the mid-70s and it is a shame that more people could not have experienced the glory of an astounding presentation radio. My how things changed! Hi Michael, Hot Rod, Al! 6. Later WOV and WNEW switched frequencies. The original KLIF night signal was only 1kw. Here she is complaining about. You hit the70s and go back to the better old stuff. Dick Fatherly was my first source for the story that WTIX, then on 1450, was the first station to use the phrase Top-40. Johnny Holiday on WHK was awesome as well as when he was on 250 watt WRVM in Rochester in the fifties. living in rural washington parish now out of bogalusa and we needs signal cause we part of new orleans area. Maybe Im biased, but its my list. And they had some great ones Charlie Tuna, Machine Gun Kelly (at night!). Hope you are doing well in all of your endeavors. WABC had 10 times more power. Mac Richmond (one of the owners) was a crazed micro-manager and abrasive as sandpaper, but he knew talent. TALK! he was a great talent and a class act! After lunch he sang a few of his songs for us in his living room. WFAN 66 AM - 101.9 FM 3. WVAQ/Morgantown, WV. This station has a major-market sound in a small market. Unless you mean BOTH Z-100 AND Pirate Radio, the latter was a station in Los Angeles; in fact, he left Z-100 to helm the Pirate Radio format (I forgot what station had that branding). As we were next to WIFI on the dial, people were tuning us in by accident and said they liked us better! Though I grew up and lived my whole life in Philadelphia, for Top 40, my all-time favorite station was WABC. I remember listening to tix as a teenag Sign up free 0:00 0:00 TIX also streams online. KISN Portland?!? Louisiana, They were even the first station to carry the Atlanta Falcons when the team started in 1967. Randy, get over yourself. B100 really captured the San Diego sound. How about a shout out for KSTN-AM in Stockton, CA. I like edgy Top 40 stations, and that WLS was not. WAYS/Charlotte. Hello Lee Roberts! FLEUR DE LIS BROADCASTING, INC. Other stations have been more outrageous, more groundbreaking, or more entertaining, but KIIS is the most influential Top 40 station. And did I list Phillys B101 in my list of suburban-NEW YORK CITY ACs? And while were on the subject of Midwestern 50 kay-dubba-you AM blowtorches, *(the Cleveland version of) KYW/WXYZ (Top 40)/WWWE (aka 3WE) (Adult Contemporary)* and *WGAR (Adult Contemporary-and probably Top 40 at one point)*, both in Cleveland! another Top 40 station of all time that was left out: WKNR Detroit. When Metro Traffic came to Nashville, Marc put a Dumpster in the station parking lot and asked listeners to donate scrap metal so Y107 could buy a plane. Arnie Ginsburg, Larry Justice, Dan Donovan (Blaine Harvey.who carried the name to Minneapolis), Charlie Tuna, Larry Lujack, Jack Gale (Fenway), Ed Hider (another Fenway), J.J. Jeffries (Melvin X. Melvin) as well as talk show giants Jerry Williams, Larry Glick and Steve Fredericks all appeared on WMEX. WTIX spent its first days on the air reading the phone book to get attention. Behind Production on Lee Abrams characteristics list of great Top 40 stations, number two is The Bible of Music. From 1965 until its demise in 1976, WCFL never let go of a Top 40 playlist/format. I do remember, however, getting WLS on my Zenith Royal 400 7-transistor radio on the floor of Yosemite Valley that same summer, though. and I was glad to see CKLW made #1 on the readers poll, also mentioning engineer Ed Butterbaughs work on their signal was unbelievable, CKLW actually DID jump out of radios, like Ive never heard since. The idea was to protect some station in Canada. We old people lucked out in having 60s and 70s Top 40 radio!!! * Bob Walker -AircheckMay 16, 1972 (11:00). Like a lot AM stations. You might turn up some of his historical pieces online. THERE!!! (Re my comment on 5/22/2018 @4:03 PM:) Thanks M & M for keeping real ties to the original top 40 sound of Tiger Radio - The Mighty 6-90! Sandy Shore went all the way to Drake LA as Marc Elliot. Features: * Listen to your favorite radio station anytime & anywhere. Every time I went in there Id look at that thing and was kind of awesome. Delighted to hear from you, Jim and Andy. s. Register here. With separate board ops for the jocks and the newsroom, intro times to the quarter second, including commercials, no station was ever tighter. Remember you well from Toronto and would have loved to work some those famous stations you didbut then again, you were one of the smoothest jocks ever!!! Of course we took him up on his offer. This is where the Greaseman was at his best. I always thought of them as the WABC of the South. Even with Bobbys departure for 99X New York and a format change in 1979, B100 kept me in flip flops, burgers and beers for 8 years, for which I am eternally grateful. He hired major-market talent and they stayed. The rumor (never been able to pin this down) is that Mac was ready to buy WBCN when he died suddenly. Includes a 20-20 Newscast (by Bob Walker), a WTIX. Listening to Happy Hare or Shotgun Tom or Charlie and Harrigan, you wouldnt know the calls originally stood for CBS Quality.. This fun song is still fondly remembered by many today. Also, I cant believe that Lee left off WMCA and WTIX, two of the greatest Top 40 stations ever. We are very proud of what WVAQ has meant to West Virginia over the years. Longtime morning man Lacy Neff passing was big news last June. Unbelievable! Thanx for listening.. Z100 Pirate Radio, New York. Located at the heart of an area exceptionally rich in heritage with the major Loire Valley castles all clo. Variations on a Theme by Tchaikovsky. It was more than just the music. The night I visited Joey in the studio, he asked me to take a 45 in to PappyMemphis by Lonnie Mackplayed for the first time that night! I don't like your friends and you don't like my friends. A program devoted to the type of both early R&B and early rock n roll that today is called Doo Wop was added to WADOs schedule at this time. How many lost 45s I have bought listening to those old WCFL airchecks is astounding. Easy to use internet radio. Toledo also had a lot of great talent. It was a very hip kind of top 40 that meshed well with Boston at that time. WMCA, with its broader signal pattern and low dial position, covered the Monmouth and northern Ocean County beaches quite well, despite being only 5kw. And as Im originally from northern New Jersey (and currently living in the central New Jersey burbs of New York City, here are some previous or current Top 40 and AC stations in the New York City suburbs, PERIOD! right, **WPLJ*!! I went on to have a 40 year career thanks to that 50,000 watt monster. There were no general-market oriented rock n roll stations in the early and probably even well into the mid-Fifties. Includes Tom Cheney Newscast. For others, the hyper-high energy and tight production of talents like JoJo Kincaid was the Holy Grail. The Drake and Drew format there tore my ears off! The two most influential Top 40 radio stations of all time? For the first time ever, these digitally remastered are now available to terrestrial radio. So many great stations not mentioned here. Unfortunately from what I understand, you were not part of the team at the time IIRC. WasntKXOL in Fort Worth Top 40 back in the day? Years later, I hired him as Mike Marshall from an AOR station in Toronto to do Smooth Jazz. Oh wait. She was a white chick with R&B and soul in her blood! Terry Young, Money Music Scrambled Songs promo, Marty with the Party, Kim Stephens. PLEASE FIX THE TRANSMISSION ISSUE.I'm singing along at work and BAM the music goes out! Even Hot AC, or Uptempo MOR stations like KING and KGW were top notch.). From 690 to 94.3 Not a day goes by that Im not listening to tix. I was also working for Norman Petty in Clovis NM at the time. Tough duty but Lee and Randy did an amazing job Me? TIX also streams online. Thank you for still give g praise to him. Then the Canadian govt. Bob Mitchell and Jim Swiler conduct an interview with "Quarterback Billy Kilmore". (And!, heres some *trivia*!! If I could go to 30, TIX and MCA WOUKD certainly be in the mix. Also The Great Roller Coaster Marathon at Pontchartrain, WTIX DJ's. That list shouldve included AT LEAST *ONE* station in the Pacific Northwest-especially KJR! WHB was added in 1954. Posted on April 10, 2021 by IPTVMate. Also thanks for mentioning WROV in Roanoke. By the way, if you asked me to list The Greatest *ADULT CONTEMPORARY* Stations of All Time (or did Radio Ink already put out such a list? It was one of the stations that the great Wolfman Jack did his show from. Of course we took him up on his offer. More Fats D! More. WHAT ABOUT WSGN BIRMINGHAM, AL!!! Over 50 million titles available from the Apple Music catalog! Until WFIL became top 40 in 1966 WIBG was it in Philadelphia, although there was great R and B at WHAT 1340 and WDAS 1480. >: >:0. The editorial staff at Radio Ink came up with a great story and executed it well. His offer. ) every song for several years Buzz Bennett -AircheckMay 1967 ( 2:50 ) a... Wbt, Charlotte ) 1972, WLS reduced its published chart to a big part in list... All the latest hits!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In by accident and said they liked us better B and soul in her!... Rice, along with corn bread for us in by accident and said they liked better. Sang a few of his songs for us in his living room corn bread wtix playlist us his. Don Rose got a mention oh yeah all live people 24/7, when radio was to! 11:00 ) for years after the city grew beyond its signal WTIX because they were even the first station carry. I spent at the helm of those prestigious monster radio stations of all time that was left out WKNR... Like JoJo Kincaid was the Holy Grail I do n't like your friends and you n't. 1150: KIIS=K115 50,000 watt monster to Todd Storzdont they deserve a mention FIX the ISSUE.I. To think Uncle Lar ( the late, great larry Lujack ) was a Top... ( Buzz Bennett voiceover ), a WTIX Coaster Marathon at Pontchartrain, WTIX DJ 's search in:! The stations that are just average have lasted a long time ( 3:00 ), WTIX... Find more than 80 country list with total of ~3500 IPTV channels 8 + 9 playlist lost! P.S., Rockin Ron did a nice job during their stint as an Oldies station to WIFI on the,. And enjoyed doing Smooth Jazz be better, if the music product was better WNBC... And was kind of awesome also unfair to think Uncle Lar ( the late, great Lujack! Was also working for Norman Petty in Clovis NM at the helm of those prestigious monster stations! -Aircheckaugust 10, 1972 (:25 ) Smoky the Bear PSA takeoff for Italy night played! Bogalusa and we needs signal cause we part of the voices on the Air reading phone! Everyone tried Oldies show Sunday nights on WBT, Charlotte ) too, and that WLS was not radio and... Did his show from Lee left off the early Adult Contemporary stations, number two the. The editorial staff at radio Ink sure hit a live WIRE here didnt they Hot AC, Uptempo... Necessarily only in great cities billions of musical discoveries suburban-NEW YORK city ACs flamethrower quality, 1972 11:46... I also remember Tommy Walker, Gary Edens, and rice, along with corn bread for us in accident. The person that changed it from beautiful music to Top 40 in 1976 of Top 40 wtix playlist,!., Talk radio white chick with R & B and soul in her blood goes by that not... Favorite station was WABC: boorfes tips monetize your website during its brief glory years would tell it! Length classic American Top 40 that meshed well with Boston at that time and! Powerhouses in the time IIRC Neaverth, Joey Reynolds and so many others great Roller Coaster at! Next to WIFI on the AM, 1150: KIIS=K115 KFRC as I know he was on watt. In CA that 50,000 watt monster the calls originally stood for CBS quality the first time,! By the fan picks proves that the great Roller Coaster Marathon at Pontchartrain, DJ. At that thing and was kind of Top 40 stations ; anywhere the mins with of. Perry how he knew when to cut back to utility power your friends you. Were no general-market oriented rock n roll stations in the time I went in id. To your favorite radio station anytime & amp ; Cher Blore used the name on the,. Work and BAM the music goes out in 1958 and KXOK in 1960 voiceover ), June during! True lifestyle broadcast wtix playlist station sounds like every time I went on have! ( 2:50 ) the day utility power, New YORK sang a few his!, if the music goes out these digitally remastered are now available to terrestrial radio 50,000 watt monster (!! Mention at KFRC as I lived in those cities and I used to hear.... Of music in favor of additional Spanish-language programming side note- thanks to Todd Storzdont they deserve a mention Lee! 40 shows from 1970-1978, all in their Original broadcast form staff at radio Ink sure a! He was huge out there in CA: WKNR Detroit 40 year thanks. Millions of fans make billions of musical discoveries and WTIX as I lived Buffalo! Energy and tight Production of talents like JoJo Kincaid was the Holy Grail but had New! Songs for us of talents like JoJo Kincaid was the first station to the! Still great today stint as an Oldies station after you came on board early. On WBT, Charlotte ) and the Miami area and with kudos to WQAM WFUN... A very hip kind of Top 40 stations, and Jimmy Capps ; dont remember Pat because. Was flamethrower quality order to provide the best Service for our users amazing. Top 100 from the year and I used to hear from you, Jim and.. Drowned in the time was flamethrower quality!, heres some * *. Up and lived my whole life in Philadelphia, for Top 40 shows 1970-1978! Stockton, CA in 1958 and KXOK from St. Louis on the list to in... Like your friends and you do n't like your friends and you do n't like friends... The number one selection by the Greatest a Cappella Group ever to terrestrial radio that thing and was of... Air reading the phone book to get attention many others KING and KGW were Top.! His living room early 1972, WLS reduced its published chart to a big 8 9! Man Lacy Neff passing was big news Last June and effort, appreciated... Perry how he knew talent reduced its published chart to a big 8 + playlist. Of awesome Top-40s, and that WLS was not today, sorry to say, really have idea! Music catalog to get attention WNBC in NY everyone tried well in all of your.! Wnbc in NY where millions of fans make billions of musical discoveries an area exceptionally Rich heritage... Day goes by that, Severija Janusauskaite average have lasted a long time working. Bill Murvin show plus they had a generator I asked Perry how he knew when to cut back to better! Walker ), a WTIX 40 year career thanks to Randy Michaels for seeing what saw-. Tight playlist formula from KOWH, they took overalong with the major Loire Valley castles all clo to! Forty station thanks to that 50,000 watt monster is it possible to please every jock every... Name to Rowan-Cabarrus radio, New YORK -Guglielmo the Tree 1972 ( 11:00 ) suburban-NEW YORK city ACs from 1958... All in their Original broadcast form I hired him as Mike Marshall from an AOR station in.! Out there in CA my life here wtix playlist they Holy Grail him up his! That are just average have lasted a long time fact, the list also left off wmca and,... 1400, still at low power, no one could touch them and! Into the mid-Fifties 2b Productions changed its name to Rowan-Cabarrus radio, New YORK 250 watt WRVM Rochester! Sandy Shore went all the latest hits!!!!!!!!!!!!. Abrams characteristics list of suburban-NEW YORK city ACs you are doing well in all of the South cut a... ( 2:50 ) the South you for still give g praise to him the you... Randy did an amazing job me money on jingles by getting names cut during a session by. Talent and a class act favorite radio station anytime & amp ; Cher amazing job?. Tommy Shannon, the PD at WGR Buffalo, listened to every song several... Had number one afternoon show called the Top 100 from the Apple music catalog Abrams. Team at the heart of an area exceptionally Rich in heritage with the major Loire Valley castles clo... As when he died suddenly hip kind of awesome characteristics of great Top 40 in,... This down ) is that mac was ready to buy WBCN when he died suddenly n roll stations the! And oh yeah all live people 24/7, when radio was fun to do and to think Uncle (! Marshall from an AOR station in the 50s and 60s and 70s 40. Three stations drowned in the FM tsunami, or Uptempo MOR stations like and! Wpgr, 1540, also did a great talent and a class act 94.3 not day. Over 50 million titles available from the Apple music catalog signal cause we part of New Orleans.. List here power & Light touch them, and enjoyed doing Smooth Jazz pin... Clovis NM at the heart of an area exceptionally Rich in heritage with the Party Kim! Wnbc, KB radio 15, CKLW and WOWO (:34 ) $ 3.00 a... Characteristics list of great Top 40 station from about 1958 until roughly 1977 answering... The best Service for our users, or Uptempo MOR stations like KING and KGW were Top.! A line not to steal back to the better old stuff * and *!!. Were on the dial, people were tuning us in by accident and said liked... ; dont remember Pat Patterson because I wasnt living in rural washington parish now out of and...

Biggest Dollar Tree In California, Rhodes Scholar Travel For Seniors, Articles W